Monday, November 26, 2007

About being a girl...

(Can you guess what color my nails are painted??)

Today, Caitlin was using my nails for painting practice. It really is a bright color, but the painting job was pretty good and Cait and I talked about how well she does at painting my nails. She made me laugh when she said, "aren't you glad that Carlee didn't give me some really strange color of nail polish, like turquoise?!?" I couldn't resist, "Yeah, or like hard-to-even-look-at fluorescent bright pink?!" LOL!! (JK Carlee, you did great picking out a gift for Caitlin, she loves it all.)

As I watched her spread the neon pink from nail bed to tip, I felt grateful to see her so happy, so pleased with feeling more "grown up", so loving the color and happy that her mom was sacrificing her long unpainted nails for her enjoyment and growth in girlhood... a rite of passage for all young women, painting nails and smearing on shiny lipgloss.

Together we watched Little Women on a DVD I found for $5. While her brother complained "How much longer do we have to listen to this PERFECT singing?" our little girl exclaimed that she loved it. I'm glad! She has a hard time understanding my Pride & Prejudice obsession but, at least she likes Little Women!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How sweet! I can't wait until Autumn and Summer get to that age! And I hope they'd actually sit still long enough to do it!!

Little Women is one of my favorites too!

Cheryl said...

What a special mother-daughter time. You are terrific, both of you.