Saturday, December 22, 2007

A busy month and Christmas...

Wow! I've really neglected my blog this month haven't I? I guess that the Christmas Party for church that I did for my Enrichment calling has consumed life. I am also still very run down from this cold that still seems to be hanging on. I somehow found time to shop for Christmas too. I've spent the last week running other errands, doctor appointments, lab tests, finishing up the Christmas shopping, ordering Christmas cards, assembling and mailing packages.

Caitlin broke her glasses in half and so a trip to the Opthamologist to get new glasses actually turned into family appointments to get everyone checked out! Caitlin picked up her new glasses yesterday, cute dark plastic frames (like mine). She also got a "spare pair" - some less expensive wire framed ones that she will keep in her backpack for the days when she forgets her glasses at home. Her vision worsened a bit and she needs to be more diligent in wearing them so that her lazy eye doesn't return.

For the last two years Jared has been teetering on the edge of needing glasses for reading. Because he wasn't reading a lot we didn't push the issue but, this year he has become a big fan of the Magic Tree House chapter book series and so, he spends more time reading. We ordered a pair of reading glasses for him- and he looks quite cute. I'll have to post a picture after he gets them.

On Thursday we had our Annual Kids Cookie Decorating Party. We started this tradition when Caitlin was in first grade. Now that Jared is in first grade he and his friends were included this year too. We had 10 children decorating sugar cookies, making crafts and we also played a game to exchange a holiday ornament. I am exhausted! I think next year I will have to reduce the guest list and make some much simpler crafts.

The Enrichment Christmas Party turned out nicely. I received a lot of nice compliments and I think my body felt numb for a few days afterwards. So much work!! This ward had the tradition of joining efforts with the Activities Committee to put on a Christmas Party for the men and women. It was our biggest activity. The Activities Committee and our Enrichment Food Committee were in charge of the dinner. Miho, Joan and I did the decorations (including the tables) and the entertainment. This year we did a White Christmas theme.

Other things holiday: We've been reading a lot of holiday books from Up On The Housetop to beautiful books about the real Christmas Story, the birth of our Savior. The kids are excited about making gifts for Scotty and I. We haven't done any holiday baking and probably won't until Sunday after church.

We did go on an Elders Quorum/Ward Mission activity to see the lights at the Oakland Temple. It was so beautiful. Inside the Visitors Center they had sister missionaries singing Christmas carols in a multi-language presentation. This is the most culturally diverse area I have ever lived in so, it wasn't surprising to find a big exhibit of Book of Mormons in all of the languages it is published in. You could pick up the books and look at them. Very cool! We had donuts and hot chocolate in the parking lot and enjoyed the company of great friends.

Now, Grandma Barbara is visiting. (Scotty's mom) The kids are so excited! They plan on making Gingerbread houses with her tonight. We are also planing on going to the city's Christmas in the Park. Caitlin's wants to go ice skating there.

1 comment:

Valerie Chandler said...

Whew! I'm exhausted! What a month.

Glad to have you back!